Ah now I see what is going on - there are two authinstance columns, one
in usr, one in auth_remote_user.

If I update a user's auth on /admin/users/edit.php it updates both table
columns

But if I do bulk update it only updates the usr table and not the
auth_remote_usr table as well

Right will try and fix

** Changed in: mahara
     Assignee: (unassigned) => Robert Lyon (robertl-9)

  Changing the auth method requires info about remoteuser getting lost

Status in Mahara ePortfolio:
  Triaged

Bug description:
  When you change the auth method on /admin/users/bulk.php for users who
  have an external auth method, their remote username is deleted even if
  you change it to another external auth method. Thus, you'll need to
  redo the remote username from scratch.

  There should be a help button with info about what happens so admins
  aren't surprised when the remote username is suddenly missing.