The drag and drop feature is currently only available in the Content ->
Files section.

you should be able to drop files anywhere on the page for it to work -
saying that there is a 'drop here' area displayed if files are dragged
over the page allowing for a neat and tidy place to drop them.

This uses dropzonejs and so is only compatible with the browsers that
dropzonejs is.

eg
    Chrome 7+
    Firefox 4+
    IE 10+
    Opera 12+ (Currently disabled for MacOS because their API is buggy)
    Safari 6+

  drag & drop content from desktop

Status in Mahara ePortfolio:
  In Progress

Bug description:
  Enhancement / New Functionality
  Hi, I couldn't see any mention of this in other requests or on the roadmap so
thought I'd request it.

  Moodle 2.3 now has a working drag & drop tool so that users can click
  on external files on their desktop and drag then straight to the
  Moodle course page. It would be great if we could do the same in
  Mahara, taking advantage of HTML5 functionality so that users could
  add portfolio artefacts to pages just by dragging them into the
  browser.

  Here's the Moodle tracker issue that led to this functionality in that system
http://tracker.moodle.org/browse/MDL-22504
  Here's a YouTube video of this in action http://youtu.be/4u78GLksPL8

  Thanks.