Hi Aaron,
please also add

-theme/raw/templates/collectionnav.tpl

When I change '30' to '60' I get the preferred results as per two
screenshots.

Your solution sound much better but this could be a temporary
workaround. If you are short on time, I could submit a bug fix.

** Attachment added: "collectnav_before.PNG"

https://bugs.launchpad.net/mahara/+bug/1046750/+attachment/3743745/+files/collectnav_before.PNG

  Show more of the file name

Status in Mahara ePortfolio:
  Triaged

Bug description:
  https://mahara.org/interaction/forum/topic.php?id=4841

  The file names are shortened too quickly when they are long and are
  not easily readable. A potential solution for showing more is proposed
  in the forum discussion, but maybe it can be made more flexible and
  depend on the width of the block?