This is for Mahara 1.8 - but I suspect the problem exists for previous
versions also

  "this field is required" message when importing a LEAP2A zip file

Status in Mahara ePortfolio:
  Confirmed

Bug description:
  When I tried to load a user by importing a LEAP2A zip file via "Add
  User" in the Admin section, I received an error message "this field is
  required", yet the LEAP2A option is selected and the zip file is
  loaded. Am I doing something wrong, or is there a bug here?

  The mahara version that I have is 1.2.3. The server environment is
  Linux red hat, PostgresPlus 8.4.1, Apache 2.2.14, and PHP 5.2.9.