This would still be great to have, but it'll be quite an undertaking. As
others have mentioned, the most common way of doing this is to store the
dates in UTC in the database, and then before displaying it to the user,
converting it to that user's chosen timezone.

The annoying thing is that we'll need to track down every place in the
code that a date is displayed to the user and do this conversion. A lot
of these will have been passed through format_date(), so putting a
conversion in there will cover all of those, but there are sure to be
quite a few where format_date() was bypassed.

We'll also need a one-time script to convert all the stored dates in the
database from their current time to UTC.

  Support for Time Zones of users in Mahara

Status in Mahara ePortfolio:
  Confirmed

Bug description:
  Did a quick search here and couldn't easily find an existing request for
timezone support.
  Unlike this eduforge tracker when I created my account, where I was prompted
to confirm my time zone, there seems to be no such Time Zone support within the
Mahara system and therefore I have to mentally adjust time stamps against
forum, blog, and other posts.
  Hope this request can find its way into your todo list soon.
  Cheers, Peter B.

  There is a specification for this:

https://wiki.mahara.org/index.php/Developer_Area/Specifications_in_Development/timezones