** Changed in: mahara

  Use adodb "mysqli" instead of "mysql"

Status in Mahara ePortfolio:
  Fix Released

Bug description:
  Mahara is currently using the adodb "mysql" driver for MySQL
  connections. This is based on an older PHP library which is no longer
  in active development and lacks certain features, most notably
  transactions (see for instance
  https://mahara.org/interaction/forum/topic.php?id=5434 ).

  We should probably switch to the adodb "mysqli" driver, which is built
  on the newer mysqli PHP library and *does* support transactions.

  There are two ways we could go about this gracefully:

  1. When a user supplies the string "mysql5" in their config.php file,
  we could silently interpret this to mean that they want to use the
  "mysqli" driver. (We could alternately provide some other way to
  indicate they want to use the older "mysql" library if we really want
  to support it.)

  2. OR, we could show the admin a warning message after they
  upgrade/install, which tells them they should really change the
  "mysql5" in their config.php to "mysqli".

  I support option #1. Given that we only support mysql and postgres,
  there's no reason we shouldn't abstract away the connection between
  config.php and the name of the underlying adodb driver. (For that
  matter, we should probably change the recommended dbtypes from
  "mysql5" and "postgres8" to just "mysql" and "postgres").