If a site doesn't allow its content to be public, it doesn't allow
public pages or public groups. I don't think we would need a config
setting whether public content can be searched by the public or not
because you can always use Google et al. and search for the content and
most likely come up with something.

If a school doesn't want it's content be found, it won't allow public
pages / groups etc.

As for what should be searchable, I think when anything is marked
public, you should be able to search on it because search engines can do
so as well. Thus, it should not only be forums, forum posts, but also
public pages that the public can search / discover.

  public group forum info do not show up in elasticsearch

Status in Mahara ePortfolio:
  In Progress

Bug description:
  Currently in mahara if one creates a group and marks it as a public
  group and adds entries to the forum these entries can only be found in
  a search by members of the group.

  They should be able to be found by anyone that is allowed to view the
  group's forum.

  To test:
  - Have elasticsearch turned on
  - Create a group and tick the 'Publicly viewable group'
  - Add some topics / replies in the forum section
  - Search for * and you should see your topics / replies in the search results

  Log in as another user (not a member of the group)
  - You can navigate the the group eg interaction/forum/index.php?group=[id of
group] and see the forum
  - Search for * and you do not see the topics / replies in the search results

  Also there is a problem with elasticsearch where you need to be logged
  in to use it which shouldn't be the case for finding info on public
  forums