Hi Gordon,

I was unable to replicate the error you've described, but I think I know
what has happened. Mahara actually has a permissions system for group
artefacts, with "View", "Edit", and "Publish" permissions for each role
in the group. "View" means you can place the artefact in group pages,
"Edit" means you can edit the artefact (as well as "View" it), and
"Publish" means you can use the artefact in your own pages (and also
"View" and "Edit" it).

When a new artefact is created for a group, these permissions are set
according to the value of the "Create and edit pages" setting for that
group.

I think what happened in your case was probably that you created the
group with "Create and edit pages" limited to Group Administrators, and
created a lot of artefacts (each text block creates a "Note" artefact).
All the artefacts created at this point would have their "Edit" and
"Publish" permissions limited to group admins.

When you later changed the "Create and edit pages" value to "Everyone
except ordinary members", it did not change the permissions for the
existing artefacts.

You can verify if this is what's going on by seeing if a newly created
text block is editable by other staffers. You can also view and change
the permissions for the group's Note artefacts using the semi-hidden
group Notes page. Here's how to access it:

0. Log in as an admin in the affected group. (Other users can see the
group Notes page also, but since the permissions on these artefacts are
probably limited to admins, you'll need to be an admin to edit them)

1. While editing the text box block in the screenshot you sent me, click
the "Use content from another text box" link

2. The editing pop-up will expand to list the Notes in that group. In
the lower-right there will now also be a link that reads "Manage all
text box content >>". Click that link.

3. You'll now be on the semi-hidden "Notes for <group name>" page, which
is equivalent to the Content -> Notes page for an individual user.

4. Click on the "edit" icon for the note in question.

Below the note text field, you'll see a set of checkboxes for the
permissions.

Cheers,
Aaron

  Tutor rights but can't edit group pages

Status in Mahara ePortfolio:
  New

Bug description:
  Hi,
  As everyone assigned as a group admin on Mahara gets notifications when
people request group membership we've tried switching staff to the tutor role
in course groups, with the permission set 'everyone except ordinary members can
edit'
  The staff are seeing the edit buttons, but when they click on artefacts to
edit they are unable to make changes - eg to amend an existing text box. The
text box opens but displays oddly and says 'the text you have selected is not
editable' (see screenshot attachment). (Mahara version 1.63, LAMP environment).

  Thanks, Gordon.