Thanks for reply - this one had us tearing out our hair for some time as
it turned out that not only were files missing (ghost of file exists in
users file area including KB footprint but no image in database). Then
we discover that the feedback facility on a published page no longer
works and no-one can upload a comment or an attached file to personal
pages (although group pages not affected). All of this seemed to be
connected to our recent move of server. Arghhhh!

In the end, with much digging around and some timely help from Dirk
Meyer of iCampus, we discover that, in the words of Adolfo, our systems
admin: -

All the trouble was caused by changing the mysql user account to access the db.
It happens that once mahara in installed, it generates hardwired code
associated with a trigger, which includes the original mysql user name. So in
case you change the mysql user account (either due to migration or site
cloning...) you should mind about that detail, probably hand editing the db
dump where you see something like 'trigger'.

This might be something that would be useful general knowledge as
changing servers is not uncommon …

We're still testing that we have all functionality back but, so far it's
looking good.

Thanks

Andrew Langford