There is a emulator procedure that mimics 'WITH RECURSIVE' for mysql

I'll attach it

** Attachment added: "mysqli_with_recursive_alternative.txt"

https://bugs.launchpad.net/mahara/+bug/1427885/+attachment/4333821/+files/mysqli_with_recursive_alternative.txt

  Change "artefact.path" column to use the "nested set" technique for
  managing hierarchical data

Status in Mahara ePortfolio:
  Triaged

Bug description:
  Originally, we just had each artefact store its parent ID. This is
  slow because it requires running multiple queries to find all the
  descendants of a node.

  Then, we added a "path" element to each artefact. This is better, but
  you can't get a performance improvement by indexing the column,
  because most of the queries rely on the "LIKE" operator. (See
  https://bugs.launchpad.net/mahara/+bug/1423700 )

  So if we want to squeeze more performance out of this, I think the one
  remaining thing to look into is the "nested set" technique. This
  technique results in very fast searches for descendants, with the cost
  of somewhat slower writes. http://mikehillyer.com/articles/managing-
  hierarchical-data-in-mysql/

  There are even existing PHP libraries for using the technique, such as
  this one: http://www.sideralis.org/baobab/