** Changed in: mahara
    Milestone: 16.04.1 => 16.04.2

  Add a minaccept to look for the "empty()" function called with a non-
  variable argument

Status in Mahara:
  Confirmed

Bug description:
  We've had a few bugs now caused by people calling the PHP empty()
  function with a parameter that is not a single variable. (And at least
  one caused by putting empty() into a Dwoo template, where its argument
  was parsed by Dwoo into an expression.)

  This causes a problem because we support PHP 5.3+, and prior to PHP
  5.5 it causes a fatal exception if you try to call empty() with an
  argument that is not a single variable.

  I think this should actually be a pretty easy one to check for,
  fortunately. We just need to check for "empty(" followed by a
  character that isn't "$", so a regex like this: /\bempty\(\s*[^$]/i

  And in Dwoo templates, where empty() can't be used at all because
  there's no guarantee of what Dwoo will parse it into, we'd check for
  it in the form "empty()" or in the Dwoo tag pipe syntax "|empty":
  /(\bempty\(|\|empty\b)/i

  Note that any regex to check for this would need to be case-
  insensitive, because PHP function calls are not case sensitive.