We are planning to change the way we set the layout for pages in 19.10.
This bug will not apply any more.

** Changed in: mahara

  force the Setting "Show controls to add and remove columns when
  editing a page"  to true for all new users

Status in Mahara:
  Won't Fix

Bug description:
  Having the optional  setting "Show controls to add and remove columns
  when editing a page"  to true for every new users help them to see
  where blocs can be placed on the page when editing.

  When this option is turned off placing object on the page may be
  challenging.