Hi Kristina,

In our last update, we noticed that it was caused by our own server security
rules.
Our server was installed with ModSecurity which blocked style attributes in
html tags. We created a server rule for it to unblock that exception which
solved the issue.

For example, the HTML code that would be blocked could be:

  Processing hang occurs when saving content contains certain HTML tags

Status in Mahara:
  Incomplete

Bug description:
  version = 2017092609;
  series = '17.10';
  release = '17.10.1';
  minupgradefrom = 2015030409;
  minupgraderelease = '15.04.0 (release tag 15.04.0_RELEASE)';

  Processing hang occurs when saving content pasted from Google Docs or
  external source

  Details:

  Where does this happen?
  When adding/editing content in a portfolio

  What happens?
  Clicking on "Save" button shows "Processing..." but hangs (403) when
pre-formatted content pasted from an external source, i.e. Google Docs, Gmail,
Microsoft Word (less often), etc.
  In addition, if using Mahara's editor only, this will occur if you do things
such as change the font size.

  Observations:
  - Noticed that this will happen when span tags and li (with style attributes)
are involved.

  Workarounds:
  - Paste as unformatted text, and make formatting changes from within Mahara.
  - Or avoid (strip out) span or li (with style attributes) tags.

  Other comments:
  Previously, users have been able to do this without issues. If they are to
make simple edits to content that originated from an external source like
Google, they risk not being able to save their changes. The quick workaround is
to copy and paste into a new content area (like mentioned in the workaround).
The existing content, while can be displayed, may not be edited successfully
unless the offending tags are stripped.