** Description changed:

  When trying to upgrade my PHP7.0 to any other version > 7.0 (tried 7.1,
  7.2, 7.3) login to Mahara failed. My setup is Mahoodle 3.6.3+/19.04 on
  Ubuntu 16.04.6, Apache 2.4.18, PHP 7.0.33.

  Mahoodle is running since some years using MNet for SSO to Mahara. After
  looking into error.log in this case (php > 7.0) I saw some lines saying
  that session handling was not working as expected:

  session_write_close(): Failed to write session data (files). Please
  verify that the current setting of session.save_path is correct
  (3;/var/www/maharadata/sessions) in
  /var/www/mahara-19.04.0/htdocs/auth/session.php on line 520, referer:
  https://moodle.klocker-mark.eu/my/

  Tried to use alternative session handling with redis (3.2.9), not
  working too (using single redis server on localhost:6379), then memcache
- (1.4.25, default config) which worked for php 7.1, 7.2 and for 7.3.
- Testing is somewhat trick as my browsers needed multiple reloads of the
- mahara page to work.
+ (1.4.25, default config) which worked for php 7.1 (7.2 and for 7.3 too,
+ but not stable, sometimes did not). Testing is somewhat trick as my
+ browsers needed multiple reloads of the mahara page to work.

- So now I am using PHP 7.3 which is working both for moodle and mahara.
+ So now I am using PHP 7.1 which is working both for moodle and mahara.

  session handling 'file' not working with php > 7.0

Status in Mahara:
  New

Bug description: