We've gone for the one alternative as that is easier to do and can be
shown easily in an error message on the field

** Changed in: mahara

  Give 3 options if new group name not unique

Status in Mahara:
  Fix Committed

Bug description:
  As a member of a Mahara site
  I want assistance when the name I have chosen for my new group is not unique
  So that I can quickly choose one that is meaningful.

  Preconditions:
  Person1 has a group named 'MyGroup'.

  Steps:
  1. Person2 has logged in and navigated to 'Main menu' > 'Engage' > 'Groups'
  2. Person2 selects 'Create group'
  3. Person2 enters the value 'MyGroup' in the field 'Group name'
  4. Person2 selects to 'Save group'

  Actual result: (see attached screen shot) the error message 'A group
  by this name already exists.' is displayed underneath the field.

  Discussion (Tue 27 May 2020):
  Question: If I am a student in an organisation/site that has 10,000+ other
students. How am I going to know what I can meaningfully name my group? It
could take ages trying things until I find one ?
  Response: This scenario is no different to signing up to a site with lots of
users and trying to supply a username.
  We could add some code to give suggestions based on what they tried. If group
name is already taken give 3 options in the error message returned.

  Alternatively, we could append a number to the clean URL of the group,
  e.g. instead of https://.../mygroup it'll be https://.../mygroup-1
  etc. if others already exist.

  Not everyone may want to change their group name significantly to make
  it very unique, esp. if the URL could handle that. When people search
  for groups, they'll always see who created it or is the admin and then
  choose the correct group.