What should happen is this:

1) The cron runs and the system checks if we should fetch new metadata
as determined by the metarefresh-state.php file

2) Tries to fetch new info

3) Need to check that  value of MetaLoader->stateFile makes sense - eg
if it is blank for saml20-idp-remote info then something is wrong

4) If there is a problem have it send email to site admins to alert them
of the issue - and not save the new state so that the existing files
stay until we can sort out the issues

  Check metadata refresh and timings when switching from old to new file

Status in Mahara:
  Confirmed

Bug description:
  The metadata refresh URL for SAML catches updates to the metadata.
  However, when an entirely new metadata file is put in place, the old
  file may not be kept long enough for the transition to take place.

  This needs further investigation to see if we need to make any
  changes. Robert L has the info.