In order to address the issues in comment #3 this patch was added:
https://reviews.mahara.org/#/c/10985/6

  reduce block margin on gridstack

Status in Mahara:
  In Progress
Status in Mahara 19.10 series:
  Confirmed
Status in Mahara 20.04 series:
  Confirmed
Status in Mahara 20.10 series:
  In Progress

Bug description:
  There is too much bottom margin on the blocks when they are in display mode.
  This could be due to the margin of the resize handlers we have on edit mode
(check image attached), where we set the block size. There is no need for this
margin on display since we don't have the handlers there