I can't say that I really understand the issues (if there are any) of
the Mahout project running under Lucene's PMC vs. a Mahout PMC, but it
sounds like that would be a big factor in deciding whether the project
should be migrated to its own TLP, eg: if Mahout discussions took up a
significant portion of the Lucene PMC meetings for example.

It doesn't sounds like much of anything else would change from the
perspective of a user or new contributor like myself. From my vantage
point I don't see much impetus to change at this very moment. If we
end up getting something that looks like a solid start on a C++ port,
it might be worth revisiting, but even then that could start off as a
submodule.

http://mahout.apache.org would be easier to remember :)

At the end of the day, I think I'm +1 for waiting as well.

Drew