    Ben> This would violate RFC 1522:

That's right.  People with broken mailers have broken mailers.  Make
sure that things are robust for those with decent software, and then
do what we can for the former poor souls.

Anyway, even my boss---who used to send mail in NEC JIS---has finally
converted to a MIME-capable mailer (and uses it to send me Word
attachments :-( ).

    Ben> That would work in the best of all possible worlds (i.e. NOT
    Ben> the real world :) but I think there is still information lost
    Ben> when converting some charsets into Unicode, like Big5 and
    Ben> EUC-TW.

Big5, AFAIK, not.  CNS yes (I don't know about EUC-TW).  But you could
handle this by converting to multipart/alternative.  (Of course that
leaves the people with obsolete mailers out in the cold.)

    Ben> Also, who knows if we would corrupt PGP signatures by doing
    Ben> something like this?

You do, now.  It's corrupted.  What you'd have to do is convert to
multipart/alternative, you couldn't just transcode.  This would also
have broader semantic implications because people would not
necessarily know in that case that the "real" message was signed---
they'd have to go look.