At 10:23 AM -0500 2003/11/26, Barry Warsaw wrote:

 Does anybody else gateway messages from NNTP, and specifically Usenet
 using Mailman 2.1.x?

I was doing that for comp.protocols.time.ntp for ntp.org (gatewayed to [EMAIL PROTECTED]).


 We've been seeing a very weird behavior where python-list (which is
 gated to and from comp.lang.python) suddenly mass bounce disables every
 regular delivery member.  The triggering bounce messages always come
 from NNTP, never from email.  The problem doesn't appear to affect
 digest members.  There are other clues <wink>.

I imagine this is because digest mode results in stripping out the problematic headers that would cause Exim to barf on the message. Since the digest version of the message is sanitized, the digests get through okay, while the unsanitized version of the message is rejected.


 I think part of the problem is our Exim config, and I'm working with the
 other python.org postmasters to address that.

We were using postfix, not exim. I don't recall running into any problems with the gatewaying which were a result from postfix rejecting messages, however.



I do recall reporting problems whereby we tried to set up the list as "closed" (so that only subscribers could post), and mailman made the mistake of applying this action to incoming NNTP messages as well as incoming SMTP messages, resulting in moderation notices being sent to anyone who posted via NNTP from an address that was not subscribed to the list.


As such, we were forced to turn off this feature. It would be nice if there was a way to get mailman to apply certain features to messages only coming in via one of these mechanisms. For example, I would still like to apply the anti-spam methods and MIME format stripping methods to messages coming in via both SMTP and NNTP, but I'd like to be able to apply the posting restrictions only to messages coming in via SMTP.

--
Brad Knowles, <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>

"They that can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary
safety deserve neither liberty nor safety."
    -Benjamin Franklin, Historical Review of Pennsylvania.

GCS/IT d+(-) s:+(++)>: a C++(+++)$ UMBSHI++++$ P+>++ L+ !E-(---) W+++(--) N+
!w--- O- M++ V PS++(+++) PE- Y+(++) PGP>+++ t+(+++) 5++(+++) X++(+++) R+(+++)
tv+(+++) b+(++++) DI+(++++) D+(++) G+(++++) e++>++++ h--- r---(+++)* z(+++)

_______________________________________________
Mailman-Developers mailing list
[EMAIL PROTECTED]
http://mail.python.org/mailman/listinfo/mailman-developers

Reply via email to