On Wed, 2004-02-04 at 14:09, Les Niles wrote: > Our list server had another crash the other day, this time it > really toasted a couple of lists. :( (No, we hadn't yet done any > of the mitigation steps that we should've, at least none that > worked....) > > What happens is that some of the config.pck files get trashed by > having the last part of the file overwritten with nul bytes. I'm > assuming that it's a filesystem corruption causing this, perhaps > involving disk hardware errors. By the time the problem is > apparent, the config.pck and config.pck.last files are both trashed > -- they're identical, with identical timestamps. I've looked at > the logic for loading and saving config.pck, and don't see how this > can happen. It seems like config.pck.last gets replaced only when > the list data is saved, which should only happen at some point > after the list data is successfully loaded. So there should be > good data to generate the config.pck, otherwise config.pck.last > should be left alone. But there seems to be some flaw in the > logic, that I can't see, because both files are ending up trashed. > Then again, I've clearly demonstrated an overwhelming stupidity by > letting these crashes happen many times until finally something > really nasty occurred, so maybe I'm just too stupid to look at the > code. > > Or maybe something entirely different is happening. If the > pickle-save itself is corrupted in a way that isn't being caught, > then I suppose the bad config.pck will happily by turned into an > equally bad config.pck.last. > > Obviously I don't have a reproducible test case for this, but maybe > someone has some idea of what's going on, and how to improve the > robustness.
Have you tried setting SYNC_AFTER_WRITE=Yes in your mm_cfg.py file? -Barry _______________________________________________ Mailman-Developers mailing list [EMAIL PROTECTED] http://mail.python.org/mailman/listinfo/mailman-developers Unsubscribe: http://mail.python.org/mailman/options/mailman-developers/archive%40jab.org
