Stephen J. Turnbull wrote:
(1) Apple already has a couple of "multi-version" applications standard (in particular, GCC, see the gcc_select utility)

gcc_select is completely broken, and doesn't work. It assumes that the
only 3.x is 3.1 and fails even at what it claims to do. I have tried and failed to fix the script, eventually doing all (I hope) the appropriate re-linking by hand.

Both Fink and DarwinPorts have their issues, but so far Python isn't
one of them.

I definitely agree with you on Fink (doesn't work at all right now because of gcc issue above, and it always had problems with various X implementations, but when it does work it's pretty nice), and only learned about DarwinPorts just now, so thank you!

So it may not be all that difficult for admins of Apple boxes to work
around this.

Oh, yeah, back to the topic. Guess I don't have anything to add except to say that requiring all these bolt-on tools in order to install mailman is a bit harsh for non-admins...

-Dale