On Mon, Mar 02, 2009 at 12:19:10PM -0500, Barry Warsaw wrote:

> As you know, Mailman 2 can filter the content of a message before it's
> forwarded on to the list membership.  It can reorganize the MIME
> structure of a message, based on settings for MIME type and file
> extension.
>
> The rules are fairly complex though:

[...]

> and I think the implementation is both complicated and hard to
> explain, and the u/i is no model of comprehension.  I'm not entirely
> sure how people use this feature though.

[...]

> So I'd like to solicit your input on how you use the feature, and if
> you have any ideas for an approach that would be easier to understand,
> more useful, or both.

Ok, I'm lazy, and could never really be bothered using content-filters
all that much in MM2.

I'm wondering if it would make sense to use mailcap(5) -- either the
system's, or MM user's should one exist, to generate a list of
MIME-Types for Mailman, and nice tickboxes alongside to select "Reject,
Discard, Allow, Forward to Admins" or something similar (read-in mailcap
on each load of the relevant part of the admin web-URI?/each execution
of the command-line util?).

It would be grand (IMO) to have a Reject message using something like:
(auto-generated) "$LISTNAME doesn't accept $MIMETYPE" plus, perhaps the
opportunity to provide some more 'useful' information:
    "your mail client's broken",
    "HTML's for the web, not email",
    "we don't like MS Word",
    "stop using proprietry formats"
or some other customizable message

Maybe I should draw what I'd like...

Perhaps (shudder), allowing an over-ride to let *some* users use a
specified content, whilst rejecting for others...

Have I over-complicated things? Or am I barking mad?