On Wed, Jun 1, 2011 at 20:32, Barry Warsaw <ba...@list.org> wrote:

> Hi Nigel,
>
> On May 30, 2011, at 09:10 AM, Nigel Metheringham wrote:
>
> >So to make this more generic:-
> >  - how can an external process detect configured lists?
> >    - preferably in a relatively non-active fashion - ie looking at
> >      the filesystem
> >    - if needed by running something to say if list x exists
>
> I think you could do it either way.  In MM3, while there's no config.pck
> file,
> there still is a directory under lists/ for each mailing list.  This is
> where
> things like template customizations can go, and probably more things
> eventually.  One difference is that the directory contains the "fqdn
> listname"
> which is the same as the posting address.  E.g.:
>
> $ bin/mailman info
> GNU Mailman 3.0.0a7+ (Where's My Thing?)
> Python 2.7.1+ (r271:86832, Apr 11 2011, 18:13:53)
> [GCC 4.5.2]
> config file: None
> db url: sqlite:////home/barry/projects/mailman/3.0/var/data/mailman.db
> REST root url: http://localhost:8001/3.0/
> REST credentials: restadmin:restpass
> $ bin/mailman lists
> 1 matching mailing lists found:
> te...@example.com
> $ ls var/lists
> te...@example.com/
>
> You could also get this information from the REST API.  Here's an example
> using the Python client library, but of course anything that talks HTTP and
> can parse JSON will work too.
>
> $ python
> Python 2.7.1+ (r271:86832, Apr 11 2011, 18:13:53)
> [GCC 4.5.2] on linux2
> ...   print mlist.fqdn_listname
> te...@example.com
>
> >  - what addresses does a list provide (ie list-request etc)
> >  - or is there a way of getting mailman to list all the addresses
> >    that mailman handles (ideally including domain)
>
> It's not wonderful, since it's primarily geared toward generating
> /etc/aliases
> files (or their mta-specific moral equivalents), but it's there.  Of
> course,
> it would be easy to add any specific output format that would help Exim.
>  This
> is the Postfix output:
>
> $ bin/mailman aliases -o -
> # AUTOMATICALLY GENERATED BY MAILMAN ON 2011-06-01 13:27:42
> #
> # This file is generated by Mailman, and is kept in sync with the binary
> hash
> # file.  YOU SHOULD NOT MANUALLY EDIT THIS FILE unless you know what you're
> # doing, and can keep the two files properly in sync.  If you screw it up,
> # you're on your own.
>
> # Aliases which are visible only in the @example.com domain.
>
> te...@example.com                lmtp:[127.0.0.1]:8024
> test1-boun...@example.com        lmtp:[127.0.0.1]:8024
> test1-conf...@example.com        lmtp:[127.0.0.1]:8024
> [...]

Hello Barry,

I manage several machines (FreeBSD of course) all of which use Exim as the
MTA.
I'd like to know what sort of conditions you attach to this requirement (for
a spare machine).
The only downside is that bandwidth is still not cheap in KE, so people
connecting from outside will definately feel the slow
speeds.
If the tests are NOT likely to interfere with the smooth running of Exim on
any of these servers, then I am willing to let you use one of them. However,
Nigel's input matters most so I must wait till he can work out something for
Exim.

--
Best regards,
Odhiambo WASHINGTON,