Not in GSoC scope, this is direct to Barry (and anybody else,
including GSoC students of course, interested in core).

Barry Warsaw writes:

 > I know this is a little backwards, but it's probably the best match
 > for the current rule/chain model.

I have a smallish problem with this model.  Specifically, for a list
with a maximum size, I think it's probably desirable to do any MIME
part stripping *before* the size test.  But this doesn't fit the
chain(s) -> pipeline model AFAICS.  I suspect there are probably other
such cases where a bit of preprocessing would be useful, in particular
if we implement a reencryption facility as Abhilash originally
proposed.