Aanand Shekhar Roy writes:

 > > I think you should provide an option to just throttle the user on a
 > given list, too.  >Possibly with different default throttling
 > parameters.
 >
 > Should I provide an option to combine both of these options into one ? Or
 > an option to use any one of the two throttlings?

I haven't thought about that.  Anyway, it's your job to do that first,
then the mentors will discuss it in terms of their experience and
implementation knowledge.

 > > I don't see why you would have a separate table for messages.  Just add
 > the post_after_time >attribute to the message's metadata.
 >
 > Yes, since we will make changes in the msg metadata so now we will not
 > require database 2,

OK.

 > database 1 will be required for counting post on threads, also,
 > whether the threads are same or not will be decided according to
 > the subject header.  For a subject header "abc" we consider the
 > following subjects as the same: Re: abc Fwd: abc abc We will strip
 > the prefixes Re, Fwd off before adding them to database 1.

We already have code to do that kind of thing, if not in Mailman 3, in
Mailman 2 (pipermail) and in HyperKitty.  Make sure you consider
existing implementations, possibly including those outside of Mailman
if they do a better job.

 > Also I had to ask, would it be good if we provide the list-admin
 > with an option to bypass this throttling for some people? Like the
 > mailman-developers in this case, we may allow few mailman
 > developers bypass this throttling effect and those developers will
 > be decided by the list-admin.

Don't know.  On the developer lists I know of, I would just moderate
abusers and be done with it.  Non-core people rarely post enough to
cause issues.  Discussion lists are a little bit different but again
in my experience it has never happened that enough people cause
problems that a throttle was useful, anyway.  Typically when traffic
gets too large lists split topically.

That doesn't mean that this feature isn't useful, it just means I
can't be very helpful in telling you what the uses are.