Hi Ana,

On Friday 20 March 2015 09:52 AM, Ana Badescu wrote:
> Hello,
>
> I'm Ana Badescu, and I'm a first year Artificial Intelligence graduate at
> Polytechnic University of Bucharest, Faculty of Automatic Control and
> Computer Science, looking to participate in GSOC 2015, hopefully with
> Mailman!
>
> You might believe that I arrived late. However, I have just installed the
> mailman client, mailman core and the Postorius and got them up and running
> in their own env. Can't believe how straight-forward it was! Once I'm done
> reading the contribution guides, I'll pick a few bugs to get a better idea
> of how the codebase is structured.

That is great! You can find some 'easy' tagged bugs on launchpad bug
tracker for core as well as postorius. You can also write some
non-trivial unit-tests for Postorius as a part of your appplication.

> As this is my first GSoC try, I admit I was a bit at a loss facing the huge
> diversity of organisations and projects.
>
> Honestly, there are three reasons that I chose Mailman over:
> - it involves areas that I am familiar with and I enjoy working on (Python)
> - I started looking at the organisation list and project list on day one.
> At least in my opinion, Mailman has one of the most friendly
> getting-started guides out there.
> - I found the Javascript client project being interesting to me. I do have
> quite a lot of experience with node.js, enough to say there is a love-hate
> relationship when it comes down to using it in projects. I'm actually doing
> my graduation thesis in node. I think it's great idea to get a Javascript
> client going, it will be well received by the community as there are a lot
> of devs that work solely with js and maybe a few frontend technologies.
> Kind of sad but true.
> I've also set up a number of RESTful interfaces before, specially in
> hackathons where the team members are each using different technologies.

There is already another student working on this idea and so there must
be some previous discussion this topic in the mailing list archives.
Although the idea is simple enough that we need a simple JS client for
mailman REST API. But focus should be on good testing framework and
better code quality.

All the best!

--
thanks,