Any thoughts on how we could integrate with LDAP?

I’d be happy to authenticate against LDAP but that leaves the open question of
how to synchronize the Mailman user database with the LDAP server.

Maybe of Mailman had some sort of event notification hook system for when users
add/edit/delete.  Or if there was some sort of generalised message bus within
the system that funnels messages about changes to the user database.  Something
sort of LDAP synch process could then use those to synchronise an LDAP
database. An event hook or message queue would allow changes to the users to be
immediately pushed into LDAP.

Maybe the other possibility is some sort of direct integration such that
Mailman, if given details of an LDAP server, can directly make changes to the
LDAP system each time a user is added/edited/deleted.

There was some discussion about LDAP integration here:
https://mail.python.org/pipermail/mailman-developers/2015-February/024412.html

LDAP seems like a pretty configuration heavy thing to put in to a standlone
Mailman system.  I’m currently researching to find some sort of
minimla/lightweight LDAP integration approach.

as

On 23 Mar 2015, at 9:46 am, Barry Warsaw <ba...@list.org> wrote:

On Mar 23, 2015, at 09:34 AM, Andrew Stuart wrote:

> How would user passwords work if not stored in the core?
>
> When someone logs in currently I just ask the core if the password is valid
> and off we go.

WFM.  As I said, the core doesn't (currently) use it, but certainly it's
available through the REST API, so if REST clients need it, we'll keep it.

-Barry