On 2015-03-23 8:38 PM, Andrew Stuart wrote:
I haven’t really worked on an open source project before.

It wouldn’t make sense to come up with an idea, write some code, submit it and
have it rejected because it’s not OK with the project owners and doesn’t fit
with project goals.

So at what point do I know that if I write some code that the concept is solid
and will be integrated into the project assuming the quality is there? Do I
need explicit approval from someone like Barry or Stephen?

Also, is there a development workflow checklist or something I can use to
ensure that I am meeting all requirements for submitted code?

Sadly, we aren't quite formal enough to have a procedure beyond "post your plan to the mailing list and make sure no one (particularly not Barry!) tells you 'no'".

Unfortunately, it is true that the lack of process has led people to put a lot of work into stuff that never got merged.

If you'd feel more comfy with a bit more of a process, you might consider doing up something like a pep https://www.python.org/dev/peps/pep-0001/

For core stuff you particularly want Barry's blessing, for Hyperkitty it's Aurelian, for Postorius it's Florian or me.

 Terri