On Thu, Apr 23, 2015 at 08:40:50AM +0900, Stephen J. Turnbull wrote:
> But one thing we all agree on is that our software should empower our
> users to address their own needs.  PDF is a proprietary format

PDF has been an open standard (as much as 'open standards' are) since
July 2008.

    While Adobe Systems made the PDF specification available free of
    charge in 1993, PDF was a proprietary format, controlled by Adobe,
    until it was officially released as an open standard on July 1,
    2008, and published by the International Organization for
    Standardization as ISO 32000-1:2008,[4][5] at which time control
    of the specification passed to an ISO Committee of volunteer
    industry experts. In 2008, Adobe published a Public Patent License
    to ISO 32000-1 granting royalty-free rights for all patents owned
    by Adobe that are necessary to make, use, sell and distribute PDF
    compliant implementations

        -- http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Portable_Document_Format

(The recent MS Office formats are also open standardized: Office Open
XML etc)

> More important for the current application, Adobe has
> also released buggy versions of its popular Acrobat Reader that
> crashed a supposedly advanced operating system (Windows NT)

Hasn't NT been End of Life-d now for over 10 years?

--
"[These atrocities] -- they all happened, and they did not happen
 any the less because the Daily Telegraph has suddenly found out