On Sep 08, 2015, at 09:38 AM, Aurelien Bompard wrote:

>And if we're going to change this system, I'd suggest going all the way to
>rule-specific actions, to ease migrations and give more flexibility to list
>admins.

I agree, and I think it's a good idea to go all the way to rule-specific
actions.

The [antispam] section serves the purpose of site-wide filtering, so that site
owners can handle global problems.  Some of this may overlap with what you can
do in the MTA, and editing Mailman's global configuration files probably
requires about the same permissions as editing the MTA's configs.  This is in
Mailman because it may be easier to configure than an MTA and it provides some
consistency with the basic semantics of message handling in Mailman.  So let's
keep that.

The default-posting-chain takes a detour through the header-match chain which
implements the list-specific header matching as you've described.  The trick
then is going to be how to match actions to headers regexps, both internally
and in the "ui".  It's probably going to require a separate table foreign
keyed to the mailing list which contain a list of regexps and their actions,
and HeaderMatchChain.get_links() will likely have to be rewritten.  Then this
has to be exposed through the REST API so Postorius can present it to the list
admin.

I'm not sure that the current semantics of header-match need to be preserved.
If a list admin wanted one of their regexps to trigger the site-defined
action, they could just choose it themselves.  I don't think we need to keep
it for backward compatibility reasons, but we do need to migrate any existing
header_checks to the new feature (i.e. for people upgrading from MM 3.0 to
3.1, as this will obviously be a 3.1-only feature).  I suggest using the
config.antispam.jump_chain value as the default value for the new
header_checks regexp value.

You'll have to disentangle the site-wide header checks with the list-specific
header checks, but maybe that can be done in the .get_links() method.
Site-wide settings should take precedence.

Happy to talk more about implementation details, in whatever forum you want,
but +1 on the feature.

Cheers,
-Barry