On Tue 15/Sep/2020 13:58:24 +0200 Stephen J. Turnbull wrote:
ves...@tana.it writes:

Someone started talking about the risk of having their names and
email addresses archived in a publicly accessible mailing list.  So
I thought I'd ask.  In short, the proposal provided for completely
removing such data, to protect privacy.

Mark provides the practical stuff.  Here's some theory.

"Completely" is a really hard problem given that some people obfuscate
their addresses in .signatures and in text, and the difficulty of
recognizing personal names.

There's also the fact that an anonymous list is a flag that you've got
people who want to be anonymous.  A big bullseye for troublemakers
(and the FBI, the MSS, and the GRU).

So, in practice, you say that anonymity as a list option is not provided because users don't need/ want it. Correct?

As an additional bonus, that would also "solve" any DMARC problem.

Sure, but the cost is extremely high.  I like to know who's posting.

me too.

There are other possible DMARC workarounds.  I'll be back soon...

Best
Ale