On 10/6/01 8:34 PM, "Margaret Levine Young" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

> I've heard of list servers that bounce messages if the new content
> (non-quoted text) is fewer lines than the quoted material.

IMHO, that's a failed technique. It was tried long ago on usenet and didn't
work then, and I've never seen anything that makes me believe it magically
has started working now. Sometimes, especially with really short messages,
it generates false positives, which is bad.

> We've got some
> clueless subscribers that persist in quoting entire threads while adding
> only a paragraph or two.

Instead, I suggest using a unique phrase in the message (or digest)
header/footer to trap messages wehre they haven't been edited out. It
catches what you're looking for, but avoids most of the false positives
(and, IMHO, one could argue that ANY message that has a header/footer
attached and unedited ought to be bounced for further editing)

> Has anyone modified Mailman to do this?

Support to do something like this is in 2.1.