Barry wrote:
I don't know anything about Ensim, but if it's even remotely Unix-y,
Ensim is software that is used to make a server do virtual hosting. There are both Linux and Windows versions. Mine, and many, run with Red Hat Linux 7.x.

you should be able to do an "altinstall" of Python 2.2.2 in /usr/local.
E.g.:

    ./configure
    make
    make altinstall
I love this list! Never seen an altinstall mentioned, but they I'm still crawling. Apparently this does the same thing as make install except it does not create (or replace) a hard link of the new version to "python".
Doing some searching on this I'm seeing reference to using the --prefix option with configure to name the directory that it will be installed to. Is this necessary, or is it only for installing the files in a directory other than the current one?

Thanks for any enlightenment!

<>< Paul