On Monday, July 28, 2003, at 07:37 pm, Whit Blauvelt wrote:

Thanks Bruce.

I see that mailmanctl doesn't throw those errors if I start it from
/web/mailman/bin rather than /etc/init.d. (However, I still have a "Site
list is missing: mailman" error to sleuth out.)

Check out the INSTALL file in a MM 2.1.x build directory. It tells you to create a site list, named mailman by default. mailmanctl will not start properly without it.

Where do you run mailmanctl
from? Have I missed something on setting a system variable in the INSTALL
instructions, that would enable it to work from /etc/init.d as advertised
with mailman not installed in the default /usr/local/mailman?

The $prefix/scripts/mailman shell script that the INSTALL instructions tells you to use for starting Mailman at startup should have been built correctly by the './configure; make install'. Take a look at its contents to make sure the path declarations are correct.

Whit