JO> bounces using a real subscriber as the return address and
JO> -bounces@ as the recipient.

JO> Will turning on VERP avoid this headache?

Doubtful.  The reason the -bounces@ address is the recipient is
because it is in people's LookOut! address books as automagically
added when they receive the mail.  If you have VERP on, the
auto-noticed address will be the VERP'd bounce address instead so the
virus will use the proper bounce address anyway.

JO> Also, following the URL in the automatic "your subscription
JO> has been disabled please go to this URL to confirm" always
JO> results in an "Invalid confirmation string" message, any
JO> ideas how to fix that?

This happens to me all the time on the FreeBSD mailing lists and it is
excessively annoying that the confirm URL doesn't work.