Pastor Augie wrote:
 I have several mailman lists setup.  Because of technical difficulties
 with our ISP's physical server, I am being required to migrate our
 entire website, including lists, to a new server (new IP and new
 name).  My ISP contact tells me that when the mailman lists are moved
 to the new server they will need to be RECREATED FROM SCRATCH!!

I recently had reason to find out how well Mailman is constructed, and how easy it is to restore it. My server was hacked (old software, shame on me) and I managed to back up my Mailman files before the plug was pulled. I decided to upgrade Mailman while I was doing it. The old one was 2.1.2 - the new installation is 2.1.4. After getting it in stalled and adding only the Mailman list, I copied in <prefix>mailman/lists/ and <prefix>/mailman/archives, restored my aliases, and all my lists worked.

I realize that moving to a new server would be a bit more involved, but I was very impressed with how little I had to do to get things restored.

<>< Paul