At 12:50 PM +0100 2004-08-16, PeteBell wrote:

                                                               I think
 that some of the answers given to new inexperienced users are quite
 rude and short-tempered - especially considering that many of us are
 not programmers and find Mailman a very complex subject.

I'm not a programmer, either. If you want the list for programmers, that would be mailman-developers, not mailman-users.

                                                          Often answers
 are NOT easy to find in the archives, especially when the questions
 are sometimes difficult to phrase!

The problem is that many users are obviously just not reading the FAQ, or making any attempt to search the FAQ or the archives. Just giving them the answer encourages them to come back and use me (or someone else) as a FAQ search engine yet once again. They need to be given encouragement to go find the answers themselves.

They need to be told that the answer is in the FAQ, and that if they had searched the FAQ, they would have found the answer, and been able to avoid bothering all the rest of us.

Otherwise, there is no use for the FAQ or the archives, and we should just delete them because they are a waste of space.

This is the classic "Give a man a fish and you feed him for a day, teach a man to fish and you feed him for a lifetime". These people need to learn to fish.

 Thank you for listening. Sometimes the old "count to ten" principle
 wouldn't hurt.

Counting to ten wouldn't help if the original poster doesn't bother to search the FAQ or the archives, and yet the answer is easily found there.

--
Brad Knowles, <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>

    Assembly to the Governor, November 11, 1755