I have several list owners with large lists. They get a bunch of bounces each time they mail. Occasionally, they get lots more bounces than they expect.

Is there any way to get Mailman to save the reason for the bounce?

The bounce log contains only the list name, email address and the bounce score. I can infer whether the bounce was hard or soft by whether the score increased by 1.0 or 0.5. There is no way to tell if the bounce was "mailbox full" or "no such user" or perhaps <horrors> my SMTP server was refused because it's become blacklisted somewhere. It's not even possible to tell if the bounce came from the distant SMTP server or my local one.

How do others deal with this situation?

</edg>