Fortunately this person wants the list to be completely moderated so that there will not be back and forth traffice, just outbound. Will this help matters and make it snappy enough? Oh, I just read the rest of your message! :) It appears that it truly is handling things inefficiently in the list subscriber IO. Wow, this is a real problem. What should I do? Are there other solutions that are better than Mailman for this? Not quite sure what you mean by the umbrella/sub list approach.

Thanks for the heads up!