[EMAIL PROTECTED] (Jonathan) wrote:

>If anyone has used TOPICS successfully and cleverly, please let me
>know.  I'd appreciate examples! I tried setting it up and I don't
>understand how it works.  You can enter the topic name, but I don't
>see how you allow users to subscribe to different topics.

I don't use topics, cleverly or otherwise, so I can't help with
examples, but maybe I can help with how it works.

The administrator of a list defines topics and gives them names. Then,
a list member's options page lists the defined topics and gives the
member the option of selecting which topics to receive. Then the
member who elects to receive posts matching certain topics will
receive all posts that match any of the selected topics. The member
will not receive any posts from the list that match one or more topics
but not any selected topics, and the member has the additional option
of whether or not to receive posts that match no topics at all.
Members who don't select topics continue to receive all posts. All of
this applies only to regular (non-digest) members. Topics do not apply
to digests.

In short, you allow list members to subscribe to different topics
simply by defining topics for that list.

--
Mark Sapiro <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>       The highway is for gamblers,