Martin Dennett wrote:

>I'm aware of the Mailman syntax for banning domains, but I'd like to ban
>members now whose email address *starts* with a given string! I've had a
>lot of requests lately from "debora" to join my list, always followed by
>something else before the "@" and at various domains. I tried following
>the format [EMAIL PROTECTED] by using "[EMAIL PROTECTED]" but get an error
>when I
>try to submit the changes. Where am I going wrong?

The '^' character in these expressions serves two purposes. As the
*initial* character, it tells Mailman that this is a regular
expression and not a literal address, and as part of the regular
expression, it matches the beginning of the string. Thus
"[EMAIL PROTECTED]" will be interpreted as a literal email address which
is invalid, thus the error. What you need is "[EMAIL PROTECTED]" or
more simply, just "^debora.*", or even "^debora". See
<http://docs.python.org/lib/re-syntax.html>.

--
Mark Sapiro <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>       The highway is for gamblers,