On Wed, 17 Jan 2007, Mark Sapiro wrote:

> Paul Tomblin wrote:
> >
> >You mean that if people used the Approve: header that Mailman doesn't
> >strip it out before it sends it?  That seems like a huge security hole.
>

> No I don't mean that. It is removed whether or not the password is
> valid. When I said "This is intentional to discourage sending the site
> password in the clear in email." I meant in the email TO the list. The
> header won't be in the mail FROM the list.

A slight caution there.

If the inbound email contains not only the plain text message but also its
      equivalent in HTML
and if the "Approved:" is specified as the first line of the body rather
      than as a header
then
   the password is in danger of leaking outbound, being stripped only from
   the plain version but not from the HTML version where it could persist.
endif

For lists on which body-based "Approved" and HTML-ising senders are
likely, it is worth investigating the "collapse_alternatives" and
"convert_html_to_plaintext" settings.

(I'm willing to be corrected on any of that!)

:  Senior Systems Programmer                Computer Centre       :
:                                           Durham University     :
:                                           Durham DH1 3LE        :