Mark Sapiro wrote:
Martin Evans wrote:

I've just taken over an existing mailman list and I'm hitting a rather annoying problem I hope someone can help me with. When I go to the web admin list and select "Tend to pending moderator requests" it takes ages then times out. I saw 1000s of pending requests in data/, assumed the previous list admin had not kept up with moderator requests and so used discard to get rid of them. The discard worked fine but afterwards the web admin page still timed out. I tried dumping the request.pck file and it was huge and took ages to dump. I'm only guessing but I think someone may have deleted holding files from data/ and not used discard. Is there any way to rebuild the request.pck file?

At this point, the held messages are gone anyway, so just remove the
request.pck file. At worst, there may be one or more subscribe or
unsubscribe requests (if admin approval is required) that you will
loose, but at least the list admindb interface will work. Mailman will
recreate an 'empty' request.db as needed.

If your Mailman version is 2.1.6 or later, you can set max_days_to_hold
on the General Options page to avoid this in the future.

Thank you, this did the trick.

Martin