Hi Mark.

Does /var/lib/mailman/bin/unshunt exist and is it executable (mode
-rwxr-xr-x)?
Yes, it exists there physically (no link or stuff) and is executable with mode -rwxr-xr-x.

Then the #! first line points at a non-existent python, or if it says
"#! @PYTHON@", this is a file that has not been configured by
Mailman's configure - i.e it is a file unpacked from the tarball and
not processed through configure and make.

The first line reads like this:
----- snip -----
#! /usr/bin/python
----- snap -----

... and of course /usr/bin/python exists, but is a link to /usr/bin/python2.4 - is this okay?

The "Temporary local problem" message is reported by your MTA to
Mailman. Check the MTA's logs which may have more information.

This looks rather strange to me (identical in exim4/mainlog and exim4/rejectlog):
----- snip -----
2009-05-25 17:56:38 H=localhost (calamus.calamus.net) [127.0.0.1] F=<udo_discussion-boun...@lists.udo-open-source.org> temporarily rejected RCPT <udo-discussion-ow...@lists.udo-open-source.org>: remote host address is the local host
----- snap -----

I have really NO IDEA what this means and how I can fix it. ;-)
Both domains (calamus.net and udo-open-source.org) are on my server.

Regarding the utf8 issue, your OP says "I recently changed my Mailman
2.1.9 installation to use and support Unicode." The error occurs when
CookHeaders is trying to encode the list's 'description' for the
List-ID header. I suspect that the charset for the list's preferred
language is now utf-8, but the list's description is still iso-8859-1
or whatever and thus contains non utf-8 codes.

Thank you. I'll check these ...

PS: By the way: Checking the .pck contents, I see much SPAM stuff. Would it be okay to simply delete those .pck files and concentrate on my own messages in both the /retry/ and /shunt/ folders?

--UlfDunkel