On 12/8/10 2:01 PM, JRC Groups at joemailgro...@gmail.com wrote:

> Is there a simpler way than Terminal (command line) to edit these files and
> then resave them ? Something along the lines of a text editor. Or do I need
> to use Terminal to do it ?
>
> In this case, if Terminal is necessary, can you guide on how to take a step
> by step approach to getting it done ? I have never edited a file (specially
> a system file) in Terminal before and don't know how to go about it.

This is somewhat off-topic for the Mailman list but if you want to do any
sort of advanced system administration on a Macintosh, you need, IMHO, to be
familiar with Unix shell commands and related utility. The Mac OS X Terminal
program just creates a shell process and window where you then execute shell
commands.

At a minimum, you need to be familiar with certain basic commands like ls
(directory) and commands for creating (touch among others), renaming/MoVing
(mv), and deleting/ReMoving (rm) files and directories (mkdir, mv, and rmdir
respectively). You also need to be familiar with one of the standard text
editors (vi or emacs) as well as commands for dealing with file ownership
(chown) and permissions (chmod).

--
Larry Stone
lston...@stonejongleux.com