On Sun, 17 Jun 2012, Brad Knowles wrote:

In fact, when you sign up for the AOL Feedback Loop (as I did years ago for the lists hosted at python.org), the instructions explicitly state that you may not use any information they give you to determine who the affected user is -- they're simply telling you that you have a problem that you need to fix on your end to keep spam from being generated in the first place, and it is not relevant which AOL user is complaining.

And the problem that I'm trying to fix is that their user has violated MY TOS regarding reporting list mail (that they subscribed to) as spam. That AOL sent their Feedback Loop message to me is therefore part of the violation of my terms. So whose terms ends up governing when they're in conflict?

Personally, I'm not going to worry about it. I'll use them as best I can to unsubscribe and server ban the offending subscriber. As I said, that AOL user has violated my terms and I am entitled to deal with that violation. If AOL were to ever call me on it, I'll worry about that then.

-- Larry Stone
   lston...@stonejongleux.com