On Sun, 30 Sep 2012, Norbert Aschendorff wrote:

I'm maintaining a server with Postfix and Mailman including
Postfix-style virtual domains. This works fine so far.
But is it normal that the creation of a list for a virtual subdomain
($prefix/bin/newlist -e subdomain listname) not only creates entries in
$prefix/data/virtual-mailman, but also in the aliases file for the
"main" domain ($prefix/data/aliases)? I didn't find anything on the web,
there are only issues related to non-found hash DBs or missing virtual
domains etc.

Yes, this is normal. Compare and contrast the following example from virtual-mailman

st...@mintfm.net              staff
staff-ad...@mintfm.net        staff-admin
staff-boun...@mintfm.net      staff-bounces
staff-conf...@mintfm.net      staff-confirm
staff-j...@mintfm.net         staff-join
staff-le...@mintfm.net        staff-leave
staff-ow...@mintfm.net        staff-owner
staff-requ...@mintfm.net      staff-request
staff-subscr...@mintfm.net    staff-subscribe

with the equivalent from aliases:

staff:             "|/var/lib/mailman/mail/mailman post staff"
staff-admin:       "|/var/lib/mailman/mail/mailman admin staff"
staff-bounces:     "|/var/lib/mailman/mail/mailman bounces staff"
staff-confirm:     "|/var/lib/mailman/mail/mailman confirm staff"
staff-join:        "|/var/lib/mailman/mail/mailman join staff"
staff-leave:       "|/var/lib/mailman/mail/mailman leave staff"
staff-owner:       "|/var/lib/mailman/mail/mailman owner staff"
staff-request:     "|/var/lib/mailman/mail/mailman request staff"
staff-subscribe:   "|/var/lib/mailman/mail/mailman subscribe staff"
staff-unsubscribe: "|/var/lib/mailman/mail/mailman unsubscribe staff"

The first one maps from the actual Email address (including domain) to the alias for the list. The second points these aliases to the commands they actually need to run.

But in mailman-install.pdf which I used for the installation, there's
the following sentence: "Mailman’s support of virtual domains is limited
in that list names must be globally unique within a single Mailman
instance, i.e., two lists may not have the same name even if they are in
different domains."

Right. If I made another staff list in a different domain, the stock Mailman would still point it to the alias "staff".

Is that related? Or am I doing something wrong?

Providing you aren't wanting to make two lists with the same name in two different domains, you're doing just fine.

Geoff.