On Dec 2, 2012, at 2:27 PM, Mark Sapiro <m...@msapiro.net> wrote:

> Likewise, within the same 2 seconds, OutgoingRunner will pick up the
> message and begin processing it. When done, it will write the post and
> smtp log entries. In the smtp log entries, the 21+ second processing
> time is the time in OutgoingRunner. All OutgoingRunner is doing is
> SMTP to the outgoing MTA (host and port set by SMTPHOST, default =
> 'localhost', and SMTPPORT default = 0, SMTPPORT = 0 implies port 25).
> It is that SMTP transaction that is taking 21 seconds because of some
> configuration or other issue in the outgoing MTA.

A stab in the dark but it sounds like you might have postscreen (part of
Postfix) or some other service on port 25 that is causing the delay.

In this day and age, port 25 really should be used only for mail coming from
outside destined for your server. I'd suggest creating another incoming Postfix
port (e.g. 20025) that is exclusively for mail from Mailman being injected to
Postfix. Configure it appropriately so that only lcoalhost or whatever other
local hosts need it can use it.

--
Larry Stone
lston...@stonejongleux.com