In a message of Thu, 17 Apr 2014 05:41:15 -0700, Mark Sapiro writes:
>The issue is msg_footer is assumed to be in the character set of the
>list's language, us-ascii by default for English. I don't think Mailman
>does the right thing in this case.

>From my perspective, the problem is that by having these things
defined in mm_cfg.py, all mailman administrators are stuck with
whatever decisions their mailman host made for whatever language
they chose as the default language for their list.  But you and I
could quite easily both want English(USA) as the default language
for our lists, but you also want us-ascii while I want utf-8.  The
way things stand now, we cannot both use the same mailman host, and
both get what we want, correct?

Now that my problem has gone from 'getting the EP footers to work' to
'understanding what exactly is going on here'.  And right now I do not
see why the charset for the lists' language has to be hard coded in
mm_cfg.py, nor why there has to be exactly one value for any given language
which mailman supports.

Thank you for your patience,
Still trying to understand here,
Laura